Tuesday, July 12, 2016

A Walk in the Woods


     I enjoyed my time in North Carolina with a jaunt over to Knoxville TN.  Just as when I began with Preachers' Aid Society, I am so enriched by having the opportunity to sit down with retired clergy and spouses from our conference and visit.  The stories they share are marvelous and it is truly a sacred time.
     But after being away it is also good to return home.  I quickly returned to my rhythm including walking in Forest Park each morning.  Last Wednesday, as often happens, I saw the heron in one of the ponds.  Unless I've spotted it flying the heron only gradually comes into view as I focus on the water.  I paused and watched for a time, then continued.
     There's a short heavily wooded path I take that leads up to a busy street in Longmeadow.  I always go up its steep incline partly for the exercise and partly because I often see deer either as I go up or come back down.  When I headed up on Wednesday I saw no deer so I continued towards the top with the hope I might spot one on the way back.  Instead I heard a very loud yell from down the hill behind me. 

     Because it was so early in the morning I doubted this was a child and as I stopped and listened I realized I was hearing what sounded like a very angry man talking and yelling every so often as he walked up the hill behind me.  I continued walking.
      At the top of the hill I headed down the street then turned around and looked back.  The man that I saw was still yelling and gesturing.  He could have been someone working out their anger, someone talking angrily to an imagined companion, or possibly a preacher working on a sermon full of hell, fire and brimstone.  I decided not to  find out which as it appeared he was going to start back down the path.  So I watched for another way back into the park and was soon rewarded with a small trail opening.
       And here's the interesting part of this story.  I had decided to be cautious and go another way and I actually found myself rewarded for the effort.  I quickly forgot the other person and the anger because almost immediately I was walking through a thick canopy of rhododendrons in full bloom.  The path narrowed and I was brushing the plants as I walked, but it was worth it.  They were like beacons inviting me to move forward.  I finally wound my way back to the usual path and continued around the Park.
        As I walked up a familiar hill, a wide area on an asphalt surface I looked up to the top and there was a deer looking down at me.  I took a couple more steps and stopped and we just stared.  Then she continued her walk to the other side and that's when I saw the two very small fawns following behind her.  I have never seen fawns in Forest Park and the sight took my breath away as I watched them disappear into the woods. A little farther along I entered another wooded path and there in front of me were four wild turkeys with one chick.
         As I continued my walk I thought about the use of caution as I continue to age.  I find that many have "cautioned" me as they've learned I'm retiring January 1st. Every so often someone warns me: "Don't get old - it's really hard!"  I usually reply that I'll take a chance since I don't like the alternative.  After all, there are always parts of our lives that are harder.  More often than not those are the times when faith grows deeper and we learn more about trusting in God. 
        One doesn't have to read the Gospels for long to find that Jesus made some interesting choices around caution.  He can hardly be described as a cautious person as he lives with others on the margins in ancient Israel.  He doesn't play it safe and have the disciples send away the crowds instead of feeding the 5,000.  He doesn't use caution when he reads from the Torah in his hometown of Nazareth.  But he does step away over and over to be by himself to pray.  Jesus shows us how to live boldly in the world putting our trust in God.  Prayer is key if we are to live lives of faith.
        I do understand I need to be cautious about many dangers such as walking very carefully on ice in the winter.   I also believe it's important not to let other persons' fears make me overly cautious.   I hope I will always speak out against injustice and create community rather than retreating to a small safe space.  My prayer is that God will help me to choose wisely when to use caution... and when not to.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment