Thursday, January 5, 2017

Crossing the Threshold



This blessing
has been waiting for you
for a long time.
...And now that
you are here
this blessing
can hardly believe
its good fortune
that you have finally arrived,
that it can drop everything
at last
to fling its arms wide
to you, crying
welcome
welcome
welcome.

These words of Jan Richardson from "Blessing the Threshold" were the perfect welcome as I crossed the threshold into retirement. Just last Friday I was a staff member of the Preachers' Aid Society, busily completing some loose ends much like I would do just before leaving for vacation.  Only this time rather than returning to my work,  I'll be paying attention to where I am going.

I'd like to say that the crossing was a smooth one, and on the surface it certainly seemed to go well.  I enjoyed the holiday weekend and on Tuesday morning relaxed a little longer with my cup of tea while reading my book.  Then later in the day I saw the email to the PAS staff reminding them about their "GotoMeeting" on Wednesday morning.  In the months when we don't meet together as a staff we have a staff meeting through the blessing of technology.  It's a chance for us to connect on a regular basis.  And I wouldn't be participating.  A reminder that I'm leaving something behind.

For years I've heard retired clergy who have shared how hard it can be no longer serving a church.  In fact, one retired pastor I called on continued to write a weekly sermon for many years.  It was a ritual that was part of his connecting to God each week so he decided to continue the practice.  I too have felt the loss of rhythm to my week that centered around my work at PAS.  Missing this first staff meeting of the year was a tangible reminder of the rhythm I'm leaving behind.  It is also a chance for me to pause and give thanks once again for the wonderful staff of PAS and the ministry that will continue in their care.

So now I will try to put into practice what I have been learning from our retired community over the years.  I will attempt to stay in the openness of these early days and months of retirement and in particular I hope I do not falter and start filling my days with busy-ness.   I will stretch out my time in contemplation, my time with God, as I listen for where God is calling me in retirement.  And I will linger in the arms of the blessing at the threshold, the blessing that has been patiently waiting throughout all these years, the blessing that is crying out, "Welcome."

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to retirement. I'm sure you will quickly find your new rhythm to dance to.

    ReplyDelete